Straight outta Mayland on Monday, makers of bike stuff that are focused more on SPH (Smiles Per Hour) than MPH (Miles Per Hour), Velo Orange announced they’re opening the pre-orders for their much anticipated, newly updated, Piolet Frameset.
Piolet is French for
pilot ice axe. If you didn’t know, now ya do.
The new frameset is now coming in a striking Metallic Moss color, and if you move quickly, you can get one for yourself at a discount of $795 (regular retail is $925), with expected deliveries in early September.
The Piolet Frameset is Velo Orange’s dirt tourer, bikepacker, and rough-road riding frame. Fire roads, gravel roads, double track, single track… it can do it all. Velo Orange says it’s “built to be sturdy, simple, and very capable”.
Now equipped with thru-axles front and rear, the new Piolet frameset uses double-butted chromoly steel, with a triple-butted, non-suspension corrected fork to not only reduce weight but add strength.
The Piolet frameset also incorporates a unique mono-stay, wishbone where the seatstays come together, purposely complimenting the beautiful segmented fork.
The frame is covered in bosses for any packing, water, accessory, or fender situation you throw at it. So, you could set it up as a hardcore bikepacker, or a traditional bag tourer…your call.
Velo Orange says the Piolet will handle similar to an XC mountain bike with a lean in the touring direction, feeling at home with flat or drop bars equipped. The non-suspension corrected fork handles predictably with or without a load.
The Piolet will be available in four sizes, S, M, L, and XL. The small size is designed around 26″x2.4″ tires, with the medium, large, and x-large being designed around 29″x2.4″ (or 27.5″x2.8″).
Velo Orange Piolet Frame Features/Details
- Frameset material: 4130 double-butted chrome-moly
- Fork: 1 1/8″ threadless, heat-treated triple butted
- Wheel Size: 29″ & 27.5+ (M, L, XL), 26″ (S)
- Tire: 29″ x 2.4″ or 27.5 x 2.6″ (M, L, XL), 26″ x 2.4 (S)
- Rear Spacing: 12x142mm thru-axle
- Front Spacing: 12x100mm thru-axle
- Bottom Bracket: English threaded 73mm, mountain cranksets only
- Brakes: 160 – 180mm disc rotor size, IS mount
- Seatpost: 27.2mm
- Front Derailleur Size: 28.6mm, bottom pull/bottom swing
- Water bottle mounts: 3 sets on the frame, 2 sets on fork blades
- Fender bosses: seat stay bridge, chainstay bridge, under the fork crown
- Dropouts: Vertical with triple eyelets
- Lowrider thru bosses on the fork
- 2 sets of seat stay rack eyelets
- Replaceable stainless steel derailleur hanger
- Paint: Metallic Moss
Do yourself a big favor and drop over to Velo Orange and check out all of the amazing and unique bike love they have going on over there, by hitting the link below.