Muc-Off Anti-Bac fighting back, not slowing down in the Lockdown – UK Family-owned Muc-Off is going from their iconic pink bike cleaner to anti-bacterial cleaners. The latest to join the anti-COVID-19 fight, they’ve pivoted to creating a new range of sanitizers over the last few weeks, and are donating hundreds of thousands of anti-bacterial & PPE products to their local & national NHS & frontline workers. More than just donating proceeds or making a single new product, Muc-off has tasked their rapid prototyping capabilities with making face sheilds. Their moisturizing chamois cream is being provided to health care workers to rejuvenate skin chafed by wearing masks. Beryl bikes is using Muc-Off cleaner to sanitize bike shares so NHS staff can get around more easily. And there are 4 new cleaners to make sure hands, shared surfaces, and phones are virus-free.
Those new sanitizers are also actually now products you can also buy (in addition to that being donated) to clean up at home or in the shop. And 10% of all retail sales will get donated to the World Health Organization COVID-19 Solidarity response fund, as well. Muc-Off.com
Where to ride (virtually?), support causes & WIN prizes!
- #cycleinshelter with Ritchey Apr 18 to help fight COVID-19 & win prizes – Join industry insiders from Ritchey and many more to challenge COVID-19! Sheltered in? Riding the trainer to no end? Why not make it worth something. On April 18, they are hosting a pledge ride where every virtual mile you cycle means real dollars for COVID-19 relief! All proceeds will be directed through a GoFundMe to be allocated to the Center for Disaster Philanthropy. Get friends & supporters on-board. Ride however you can. Raise money & get a shot at tons of prizes being donated by the industry… including exclusive Bikerumor wool socks! Seriously, there will be tons of other cool prizes up for grabs too. More details at their Facebook Event page.
- Bike for Humanity Apr 25 to help those impacted by COVID-19 – Another good way t ride for a good cause, on Saturday, April 25 basketball legend Bill Walton and a team of friends & community leaders will ride the Inter-Galactic Bike for Humanity event to benefit victims of the coronavirus and the healthcare workers fighting strong. 100% of all net proceeds will benefit victims of the Coronavirus pandemic, distributed among 4 participating nonprofits: FeedingAmerica.org, Father Joe’s Villages, #GetUsPPE.org, and ChampionsforHealth.org. Individuals are encouraged to get out and ride their bikes for up to 2hr in an area where they can practice social distancing at a minimum of 6’ 11” in honor of Walton’s true height. Interested participants can ride anywhere in the galaxy as long as they are in a location where they can practice social distancing. There is no charge to sign-up or participate; however, multiple opportunities to donate and become more involved. BikeForHumanity.com
- PNW Components & HandUp Gloves Giveaway – When times get rough, collaborating with friends is the best medicine. So PNW & HandUp teamed up (using social distancing practices, of course) to offer a sweet package of gear! Here’s what is up for grabs: Handup gloves ($29), socks ($12), shorts ($40), jersey ($38), bandanna ($9) & hat ($20); plus PNW Range handlebar ($69), Loam grips ($19), Loam lever ($69) for a total $305 package up for grabs. Sign up before April 14 at midnight, with winners announce the next day. HandUpGloves.com
Gear & Industry News
- ATAQ squeezes out powerful, plant-based performance shots – All plant-based California nutrition brand ATAQ has just launched a new range of single-use 2oz squeezable performance boosters. The 3 “small but mighty booster shots” are essentially a new take on energy gels for more health-conscious athletes. Try pineapple-orange Power & Endurance, mango-ginger Energy & Focus, or lime-berry flavored Recovery & Immune boosters. From now until May 30, they’re also donating 5% of all web proceeds to the GoFundMe.org CoVid-19 Relief Fund. ATAQfuel.com
- Curve recalls GXR gravel fork, does it right – Curve Cycling identified a manufacturing defect In their latest batch of carbon GXR forks made late in 2019, and has issued a recall. Not only did they catch the problem quickly, just over fifty forks had gone out, but they have addressed it head-on and apologized very openly. They’ve already got in touch with everyone who ended up with the faulty fork, and are getting it sorted. But it will also delay a couple of their other complete bikes in ti & steel going out, so they are preemptively apologizing for that too. Shit happens. And it’s nice to see a company standing up and taking clear responsibility. CurveCycling.com.au
- CoronaDays Deals just keep piling up – Ever since this pandemic has taken hold, we’ve seen countless cycling industry businesses impacted, some worse so than others. One recurring theme though, is that many brands are trying to keep sales moving forward, both to keep cashflow in hard times, but also just to keep products from piling up. What that means for you the buyer, is plenty of sale items… let’s call them CoronaDays Deals. Each week now, in addition to our regular Friday/Weekend Roundup, we’ll also round up just those Mega Deals. So check back here every weekend for fresh deals from your favorite brands!