2017 Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon drop bar 275 adventure gravel bike

Diamondback has just upped the game by taking their versatile alloy Haanjo gravel bike platform, which comes in drop and flat bar iterations, and giving it a shapely new carbon frame with a bad ass 27.5 x 2.1 option spec’d with a mountain taming 3×9 Shimano drivetrain. Don’t worry, 2×11 700c builds are also offered…but, just look at this thing!

Pairing easy to maintain TRP Spyre mechanical disc brakes, bar end shifters and HED Tomcat wheels, the 2017 Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon is ready for any epic backcountry ride. And perhaps the best part (besides the sick army green paint job) is the price…

2017 Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon drop bar 275 adventure gravel bike

The Haanjo Carbon series gets DB’s relaxed “Endurance” geometry, which means a slightly slacker head angle, 45mm fork offset and 430mm chainstays.

2017 Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon drop bar 275 adventure gravel bike

2017 Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon drop bar 275 adventure gravel bike

An external threaded bottom bracket adds to the ease of use of this package.

2017 Diamondback Haanjo EXP Carbon drop bar 275 adventure gravel bike

Thru axles front and rear, an XT cassette rear derailleur paired with Dura-Ace bar end shifters, Tektro brake levers, and Schwalbe tires round out the package for just $2,300.

DB rider Eric Porter took the EXP model for a little 150 mile jaunt from Reno, NV, to California, and made a video to show it off.

2017-Diamondback-Haanjo-Trail-Carbon-700c-adventure-gravel-road-bike

At the top of the Haanjo Carbon lineup is the Trail model, which gets Shimano Ultegra derailleurs with Shimano’s non-series hydraulic disc brakes and levers. Those are paired with SRAM Rival wide axle cranks with 50/34 chainrings. It, along with the Haanjo Comp Carbon below, both use 700×40 Schwalbe G-One tires on HED Tomcat alloy wheels with 21mm inside width rims. Retail for the Trail model is $3,100.

Note the rounded seatstays and flattened seat tube, all designed to give the bike a bit of cush over the rough stuff.

2017-Diamondback-Haanjo-Comp-Carbon-650b-adventure-gravel-road-bike

The Haanjo Comp comes in at $2,500 with FSA cranks and BB, Shimano 105 shifters/derailleurs/cassette and TRP Spyre mechanical discs. All of the carbon frames have full rack and fender mounts.

2017-Diamondback-Haanjo-Tero-700c-drop-bar-gravel-road-bike

If you hadn’t seen them (we hadn’t), the 6061-T6 butted alloy models were released for 2016 and include five models, two with flat bars. Above is the $900 Tero with super shallow drop bars and a steel fork, and…

2017-Diamondback-Haanjo-Carbon-700c-flat-bar-gravel-road-bike

…the standard flat bar Haanjo with tapered alloy fork for $1,100. Check out the complete line up on their website.

Diamondback.com

43 comments

1. Ryan on

Wow. If I didn’t already have multiple bikes I would definitely want one of these. Drop bars, carbon, thru axles, fat tires, no suspension, AND OD green? They’re speaking my language:) Great pricing, too, relative to the specs. Well played, DB

2. Chader09 on

Yes, great looking bikes, specs, prices, huge tire compatibility, rack/fender mounts, 3 cage mounts, THREADED BB… WOW.

I don’t know what else to say. I might be using my IMBA/Promotive to snag one of these at an even better deal.

3. Todd on

really irritating that I always see X comments but then when you click to see them none show up. Either just let them show up and moderate after or don’t show a number of comments until that many exist.

• Zach Overholt on

Todd – that’s an issue with the site that we haven’t figured out yet. The comments are there, just on certain systems, it won’t display them. Working on it.

• kbark on

I think it is an issue with Incognito mode browsing and possible the lack of a cookie. If I clear all history and go incognito I usually can’t see the comments. If I am not incognito I can see them. If I post I can go back to incognito and still see comments, my guess is host is trying to put something in your browser and if they can’t you don’t see comments.

• TheKaiser on

I have been frustrated by that too, but it only occurs for me when running Firefox on my android phone, not firefox or chrome on a PC.

4. Dave on

Looks like a great bike in terms of price and spec. Problem is you will not find these in any bike shop because when Diamond Back (Raleigh) decided to put Diamond Back in the big box stores no dealers are willing to stock a bike like this from DB. Cannot really blame them.

• Timothy Guarente on

This is 9 speed, the last system that allowed this mixing. They could use a 10 speed cassette and shifter, but that would cost a little more.

• Shane on

I believe 10-speed road levers match well enough with 9-speed mtn. derailleur and cassette to be compatible. But according to DB’s spec the shifters are 9-speed also. Not sure…

5. Andy on

John Tomac raced, and won, on a drop bar Yeti back in the day. There have been a plethora of bloggers riding drop bars on their 29ers in recent memory as well. Apparently, what is old is new again.

• Jimbo on

I had a 2015 59cm Haanjo Comp and hated it with a passion. The geometry was terrible. Making the TT longer by steeping head angle and slackening seat angle is not the way to make large bikes! Bad tow overlap as well.

6. Ano on

Whack geo…
    Reach: 50cm = 374mm / 53cm = 371mm / 56cm = 373mm
    If you’re going to design around toptube/headtube length then do yourself a favor and leave out the reach/stack measurements from the geo sheet. If you don’t know what it means then you shouldn’t probably list it.

• patrick on

That is weird. It’s the same frame geo as their other Haanjos, so grab the stack and reach from those. I have a trail in a 59. It’s a tall frame, but not very long.

• lonefrontranger on

“it’s a tall frame, but not very long”

…which means anybody under about 5’7″ will likely have lethal amounts of foot overlap. Tried that once on a Civilian singlespeed, no thank you. I’m not talking like cyclocross buttonhook turns, I’m talking about you couldn’t turn normally within the radius of a bike path switchback going up a hill / overpass without sticking your shoe in the front wheel.

• Patrick on

No, that’s not what it means. Since when do stack and reach have anything to do with toe overlap? Head angle, trail and tire size do.

7. Matt on

Any chance they are making the Carbon Haanjo with the same spec in 700c? Seems like all of the models on their website that are 700c are more road oriented. I would want this exact set up in 29 form with a 27+ option

8. Von Kruiser on

Pumped to see bikepacking getting traction finally. I’ve been offroad touring for 20 years… but WAY heavier back then. We brought too much crap. Now running ultra light setup and having way more fun. Great job DB… hope you sell a lot of these rigs.

• Patrick on

They are the OEM version of the Ardennes Plus. They go tubeless nice and easy with two layers of 24/25mm tape. HED builds them and sends them to Diamondback. They are pretty durable.

• AlanM on

I work for a shop that has a large group of HED fans running various versions of the Ardennes. I’ve been on the Ardennes Plus for three years now and love them.

9. Hector Torres on

Looks like the trend for 2k16 are these adventure-do-it-all grinder/xc drop bar rigs! Long live early 1990’s all over again! I dig.

10. Dave on

I am happy to see DB reinventing themselves and putting out new bikes. None of their offerings are open mold anymore. Endurance, Tri, Aero Race, and now this which clearly stands out

11. Patr5 on

I just got a carbon exp and liking it except the bar end shifters . Anyone know if road brifters would work with the 9 spd trpl ? I’m pretty sure the rear would be ok but not sure about a trpl sti front brifter with a mtn frt derailer.

Also looking at switching brakes to trp cable hydros.

COMMENT HERE: (For best results, log in through Wordpress or your social media account. Anonymous/fake email comments may be unapproved or deleted. ALL first-time commenter's posts are held for moderation. Check our Comment Policy for full details.)