Winter is in full swing for our Northern Hemisphere readers. We’re dealing with cold, rain, even ice & snow. So round out the week with a dose of summer flashbacks. Read on for the video, plus several suggestions of where to race in 2018, how to get bike karma, and contest & gear news tidbits.
Commencal sent this mountain biking video flashback. Head back to Les Arcs in Savoie, France in mid-summer with Vincent Pernin and his affordable Furious DH bike.
When a DH bike just isn’t enough…
- POC founder launches Cake electric motorcycles – Because a lot of cyclists ride moto, this zero emission dirt bike borrow enduro/dh mountain bike geometry, suspension tunes and rider positioning to make for a lively, ride. And compared to standard motos with gas engines, the Cake Kalk is nearly half the weight! Check out the full tech rundown on e-Bikerumor.
Where to race
- US Open Fat Bike Beach Champs hit the big time, Mar 16-18 – The 4th annual Fat Bike Beach Championship returns to Wrightsville Beach, NC this March 16-18. Activities and racing will be based at the Blockade Runner Beach Resort host hotel. It apparently got named on of the top 20 festivals/events by the Southeast Tourism Society. The 1 mile oval race format is said to be quite entertaining, and this year even a kids fat bike beach race is being added. FatCross.com
- Register now for the Enduro French cup – Registration has just opened up for the 14th season of the French Cup Enduro Series for all riders belonging to a UCI racing federation (UCI license holders). All other riders can sign up from Monday, Jan 29. Season long deals are available in limited numbers, with series racing staring May 26. EnduroSeries.fr
Advocacy & MTB karma
- QBP extends Equity & Diversity Internship application deadline to Mar 8 – QBP is committed to contributing to a larger culture shift in the bike & outdoor industries, a shift toward inclusivity and amplifying diverse perspectives. Their Equity and Diversity Internship expands the former Women’s Internship Program to include talented students who are members of underrepresented communities and identities and/or students with a demonstrated commitment towards advancing issues of diversity, equity, and inclusion. 2018 summer interns will jumpstart their career by working side-by-side with some of the most innovative people in the industry, contributing to a growing a network of fresh change-makers who influence the future of cycling. Apply over at QBP.com
- Nominate a deserving BC rider to win entry to BC Bike Race – It is pretty limited being available only for British Columbia residents. But the BCBR is running the KazLaw Deserving Rider Award program again this year. Nominate the person who makes the most difference in your BC community, and they could win Free entry to the 2018 edition of the BC Bike Race. BCBikeRace.com/KazLaw2018
- Commencal opens 2018 Co-Factory grassroots sponsorship program – For years Commencal has supporting riders in order to help them evolve. They say it’s part of their DNA. If you like mountain biking as much as them, if you’re the fastest or the most stylish in your hometown and your social networks have an important place in your life, then they’re waiting for your application. Commencal-Store.co.uk
- Bike nav gadget Beeline’s Ultimate Trip 2018 is giving away great gear – Beeline is hunting the best cycling trips in Europe. Convince them why a trip you’ve done should be among their top 10, and you win a goodie bag packed with adventure gear from Beeline, Blaze, Hiplok, Look Mum No Hands, Knog, Matador & Rapha. The overall winner will also get even more including a limited edition yellow Beeline, Blaze Laserlight, Matador Freerain 24 rucksack, and a Hiplok Original. Tell your story & upload pics to enter to win via their Google Docs entry form. Beeline.co
Gear & Racing news
- Restrap’s new Rando Bag now available in two sizes – We previewed Restrap’s latest randonneuring bag in our Eurobike coverage. With a busy start to 2018, they’ve got the Rando dialed using their favorite magnetic system for easy on & off. The Rando fits most front racks, with easy access pockets & its quick release system. It comes in the £140 large 17l version we saw before, and now a £130 more compact 11l small bag. Use it for touring, commuting or just carrying your groceries. Restrap.co.uk
- Assos partners with Stan’s-Pivot pro MTB team to Tokyo 2020 – The Assos sponsorship deal is interesting because it means the UCI World Cup mountain bike team will be racing in Assos’ Club Gear, but also intends to be outfitted year-round by the Swiss clothing maker. It never seemed to us that Assos put a huge focus on the MTB side, but now the Stan’s-Pivot team will serve a big role for product development for racing & training in all weather conditions. The idea is to give the racers consistency, establishing a partnership to support them in their push towards the next 2020 summer Olympics. Assos.com & NoTubes.com
- Endura goes downhill, sponsoring Atherton Racing – Endura already sponsors WorldTour road team Movistar. But what’s interesting here is that they are looking to take some of the ideas developed for road downhill. Endura’s brand director Pamela Barclay said, “There is a buzz around aero gains across all tribes of racing right now and we plan to bring our proven expertise and manufacturing might in this area to bear on the downhill course…. watch this space.” The team will race in MT500 & development gear like a new DH race pant, as well as protection gear, all slated for 2019 consumer product availability. EnduraSport.com