Climb San Francisco’s Potrero Hill Sept 8 with Red Bull – The Red Bull Bay Climb is heading to SF in a couple of weeks for the second annual race up on of the city’s steepest streets. Join the mad dash to the top in the straight line, uphill bike race. It’s just 0.32 miles long, but it averages out to a 15% grade, with quad-burning peaks of 21%. It’s one gear only in the Fixed category, or an Open “run-what-ya-brung” category for anything two-wheeled and human-powered. Register between now and Sep 6, more info at: RedBullBayclimb.splashthat.com
Where to Ride
- Take on 4 Islands, mountain biking across Croatia next April – The killer Mitas 4 Islands mountain bike stage race is something unique and adding something new for their 5th edition next spring. This is a race where the islands are the stages. You start off the ferry and take on rocks, sand, mud & goat path trails as you climb up and down with the Adriatic Sea peeking out. 5 days of racing starting Apr 9, 2019. A prologue + four stages. DO you have what it takes? Early bird pricing for the first 100 racers or until the end of September 2018. 4islands.hr
- Tour Innsbruck with Zwift, at least in spirit – It’s time to get training on a new virtual course – Innsbruck. Join Zwift to roll into the Austrian Alps and villages along the way. Ride each of the 5 stages of their own Tour of Austria from Sep 4-19 ahead of the UCI Road World Champs to unlock their Tour of Innsbruck Kit. Zwift.com
- Ride the 3rd annual Dancing Bear Bike Bash to benefit Bike Elf Sept 15 – Smoky Mountain Tourism Development Authority is teaming up with Dancing Bear Lodge for a Bicycle Bash on Sep 15. The event raises funds for Bike Elf, a nonprofit that donates fixed bicycles to disadvantaged children in programs like the Boys & Girls Club. Cyclists have the choice of racing/riding 28, 37, or 59 mile courses through the Smokies. Registration is $45 including lunch, with $5 going to Bike Elf. More info & registration at: DancingBearLodge.com.
- RidePort Jervis, NY’s Erie MTB Festival on Oct 14 – Longtime singlespeed mountain bike racer and event organizer Dejay Birtch is back in his hometown again to host the 3rd annual Erie MTB Festival. Over the last 3 years they’ve opened 2000 private acres owned by the city of Port Jervis, with 40 miles of new hand-built singletrack. The Erie has 12, 25 & 50 miles options and the start & finish right on Main St. in town. Bands, a vendor area, and the beer garden should make for everything you could want in an off-road race. Get more info at: StarCrawf.com, or register at: BikeReg.com.
Gear & Special Deals
- Rise and Grind with Restrap & a new camp mug – Bag makers Restrap are currently headed out for their annual in-house epic bike tour (follow along on Instagram). But is it really possible for cyclists to bikepack without coffee? So they wanted their own mug. Enameled steel is the way to go, right? Pre-order Restrap’s new Camping Mug for £10 now over at their site, with mid-late Sept deliveries. Restrap.co.uk
- Get FREE bar tape when you buy a Fizik saddle – Fizik’s synthetic bar tape is a pretty solid option and offers a good range from everyday endurance to racy superlight, from sticky to slick, and in a wide range of colors. So if you were already looking to get one of their saddles (even a MTB saddle), act now (until Sep 10) direct from their website and pick which ever tape tickles your fancy. fizik.com
- Save 20% on Moots apparel for Labor Day – Valid now through Monday at Moots’ website, you can freshen up your kit with 20% savings on all of their apparel and accessories. Just use discount code “20off” at checkout. Unfortunately no bikes or hard good included. Moots.myshopify.com