Must See: Niner’s custom Greenback Cutthrout Trout RIP 9 RDO – First off, I’m sorry this isn’t the Niner you can win, you’ll have to scroll down for that. Instead, this custom painted Trout 9 RDO is the bike of Niner’s Senior Graphic Designer Nate Adams, but it’s just too good to miss.
“Everyone at Niner is a bike nerd first and foremost. We call ourselves “Ninerds”, naturally. Between our mountain bikes and gravel bikes, we ride local dirt almost daily. But we all have passions and pursuits beyond bicycles. Our building includes trail runners, kayakers, car campers, fly fisherman, hockey players, and rock climbers. In general we’re committed to living and playing outdoors under the sun and with as many different toys as often as possible.”
So when the opportunity of an extra frameset in the office presented a chance to build something unique, designer Nate Adams took the bait and sought inspiration in trailside streams. “It’s only natural when you share a passion for riding and fishing, that you throw a few flies in the river after a ride and try to trick some trout into biting.”
The bike is a RIP 9 RDO designed by Nate and painted by Tony Baumann of Made Rad Custom Paintworks. It gets a new AXS groupset (rainbow cassette, of course) plus Enve wheels & Deity cockpit components. NinerBikes.com
Gear News & Deals
- Be Good and Win a Niner – Rebecca Rusch and Be Good want you to support communities with the power of the bike. Now through Dec 30, carry on the ideals of Giving Tuesday and make a donation to support the Be Good Foundation. Either donate there directly, or start your own fundraiser, and you will be entered to win some great gear – including a fully loaded Niner RLT 9 RDO gravel bike, Assos riding kit & more. RebeccaRusch.com
- Win a Kinetic R1 Direct-drive trainer with Rouvy – Now through Dec 29, Rouvy’s Kinetic Challenge will have you hitting the indoor road. Ride 30km in one go for a chance to win the newest smart, interactive Kinetic trainer. The Kinetic R1 Trainer combines direct-drive tech with a natural ride feel. Invite your friends to join the Challenge to have more chances to win. Good luck & get training. Rouvy.com
- Restrap offers Bikepacking Setup Guide advice – Sure, they are going to be a bit biased as to which bags you should actually buy, but Restrap knows bikepacking bags. So, they’ve put together a couple of quick video guides offering bikepacking suggestions & helpful tips. In their mountain bike tips video the look at bikepacking on a hardtail, a full-suspension & a rigid off-rad world tourer. Then, their road & gravel tips video covers the gambit with three different gravel bikes for a range of adventure styles. Retrap.com
Advocacy & Industry News
- Sea Otter Europe sets its May 2020 return to Girona – Sea Otter’s European vacation heads back to Spain for its fourth edition. We’ve been there the last couple of years, watching a bigger international audience come out for the festival atmosphere, consumer product expo, and all manner of pro & amateur racing. We’ve spotted a lot of great new tech at the event, and have enjoyed the road, gravel & mountain biking scene around the venue. Get more details from SeaOtterEurope.com & maybe you will spot the Bikerumor Europe team on the ground or out on the trail!
Where to ride
- Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship Gravelation fills original Grinduro gap – After 5 successful years with Giro in Quincy, CA, Grinduro is going to a new California venue in 2020. But Sierra Buttes Trail Stewardship (SBTS) says the “Original Gravel Enduro” marches on, and they’ll be running Gravelation at the Mountains to Meadows next Sep 24-27, 2020. The new project will celebrate a trails renaissance in Plumas County by expanding the fun with new events. The headlining event, Gravelation, replaces Grinduro in Quincy and will feature the redesigned & tough 2019 Grinduro course with 4 timed stages: Hough & Puff, Pine Creek Plunge, Rouler’s Revenge, and Smokechaser. Plus, they’ll add a Friday night cyclocross race, live music, a weekend camp out & more. QuincyMountainsToMeadows.com