The Ion Air Pro Wifi captures all your sick shredding in high def video, then lets you upload it live by linking it to your web-enabled phone.
Trick features include a simple on/off switch with a vibration to signal it’s been turned on and a large, textured record slide to start capturing stills or video in a variety of qualities, including a dual HD/WQVGA that allows for instant upload and viewing while retaining something you’ll actually want to watch on a big screen. Sync it up to your iPhone/iPad/iPod internet connection and you can upload to YouTube or whatever. Their iOS app lets you view in real time and control the settings, too.
The one you want’s $350, but upgradeable budget models start at $230. Full PR and specs after the break…
PRESS RELEASE: ION Worldwide, a global consumer electronics company, today announced immediate worldwide availability of a new, wearable sports-action camera that makes it easy to capture and share high-definition video and still images of life’s most moving moments… whether they take place on the slopes, in the surf, on a single-track bike trail or while playing with the family at the local park. The new ION AIR PRO™ HD Sports Video Camera with Wi-Fi PODZ™ is the first action camera that allows users to shoot and share their videos instantly via Wi-Fi using the free ION CAMERA app for iOS (iPhone/iPad/iPod).
Designed for professionals and consumers alike, the aerodynamic, lightweight and easy-to-use ION AIR PRO Wi-Fi camera features a number of significant industry firsts, including Wi-Fi connectivity and free cloud storage. The unique ION PODZ system – thin, circular discs that attach onto the back of the basic camera, adding virtually no weight or volume-extends the capabilities of the ION AIR PRO. With the ION Wi-Fi PODZ and ION app, users can control camera functions and settings, view the action as it happens as a livestream, and replay or immediately upload footage to Facebook, YouTube, or share it via email.
The ION AIR PRO comes with 8GB of free cloud-based storage powered by MiMedia.com. With this ION CLOUD, users can easily upload and access their video clips from any smartphone, tablet or computer.
“The point-of-view camcorder segment, driven by action-sports models, is the fastest growing segment in digital imaging. Yet this segment needs to get to the next level, with built-in Wi-Fi connectivity and cloud storage,” said Chris Chute, research manager, Worldwide Digital Imaging Practice, IDC. “Smaller, younger and nimbler companies, like ION, can rapidly meet market changes with products like the ION AIR PRO.”
Additional ION AIR PRO features that set it apart from others in the market include:
- Lightest weight, most aerodynamically designed: The low-profile, 4.5 oz. ION AIR PRO is one of the lightest, most wind-resistant action cameras on the market.
- HD video quality: HD wide-angle lens records in 1080p, 960p, and 720p resolutions as well as WQVGA with a field of view up to 170 degrees. The ION AIR PRO also features Dual File recording, capturing both an HD and a lower-resolution WQVGA file simultaneously to allow for easier sharing to social networking sites and faster upload times.
- Waterproof without additional housing and waterproof microphone: The ION AIR PRO is waterproof up to 30 feet (10 meters) with no need for an additional outer case. Its waterproof microphone enables high-quality audio.
- One-click capture: A single press of a button starts or stops recording, and the camera vibrates to confirm both start and stop (very handy when the camera is mounted out of eyesight). High-quality, 5-megapixel still-image capture (single shot, time lapse and 10-photo burst modes) is also possible with a single click.
- CamLOCK™ system: ION’s versatile mount system allows users to quickly and easily attach, remove and rotate the ION AIR PRO camera on any type of helmet (bike, motorcycle, ski, skydive etc.), pole, board (surf, skate, ski etc.) or handlebar (bike and motorcycle). It enables users to get a different angle without having to remount the camera; they can simply swivel the camera to a new position while recording.
There are currently five different packages offered by ION, including three basic ION camera options:
ION AIR PRO (MSRP: $229.99) – an HD sports video camera that comes with a mini tripod, travel power adapter, USB & AV cables, CamLOCK™ mechanism and pouch.
ION AIR PRO PLUS (MSRP: $289.99) – the ION AIR PRO package plus the complete CamLOCK system, the company’s mounting product that secures the camera to bike handle bars and summer and winter sports helmets.
ION AIR PRO Wi-Fi (MSRP: $349.99) – the ION AIR PRO PLUS package with a Wi-Fi PODZ to allow for instant connectivity to the ION app.
Additional add-on kits that can be purchased include:
ION AIR PRO CONNECT (MSRP: $99.99) – additional kit for wireless shoot & share functionality and extended battery life. The kit includes a detachable Wi-Fi PODZ and an 1800mAmp Battery Booster.
HELMET & BIKE KIT (MSRP: $69.99) – provides the complete CamLOCK system for handlebars and most summer and winter sports helmets for the ION AIR PRO Camera.
ION Worldwide is working with amateur and professional athletes and videographers throughout the globe who are interested in shooting and sharing their adventures.
“My team knew we could improve upon the sports-action wearable video cameras that are currently on the market,” said Giovanni Tomaselli, CEO of ION Worldwide. “We designed the ION AIR PRO to deliver the optimum overall user experience in terms of form, function and quality. We built it, from the ground-up, to be best in class.”
Future enhancements and features include a wide range of PODZ that will give the ION AIR PRO unprecedented capability and flexibility. PODZ on the horizon include a waterproof remote-controlled Remote PODZ™, Car PODZ™ for charging on the go, a high performance Microphone PODZ™ for professional quality audio, and the ION Battery PODZ™ that will enable up to an incredible four hours of recording time without adding size or weight to the camera. Also, an ION CAMERA app for Android is coming this summer.