Baskets on bikes, I love them. When you put a basket on a bike, it boosts that bike’s versatility up quite a few notches, that’s just a fact. Bikepacking rack aficionados, Old Man Mountain, has been teasing us with the OMM Basket for some time, at both Sea Otter 2022 and 2023.
Well, now it’s finally available.
They also have their new Ponderosa Panniers and Juniper Trunks in stock and available to ship as we speak. Plus, I saw a great little prototype that OMM was displaying at their booth at the MADE Show. Read about it below.
Let’s go over these new goodies.
The Old Man Mountain Basket
The new basket is the same size as the wildly popular Wald 137 basket, making it compatible with all of the “137” basket bags that are out there. The difference is that the OMM Basket is powder-coated black aluminum, making it rugged, corrosion-proof, super durable, and lightweight.
Additionally, the OMM Basket can bolt to many OMM rack systems (as well as some other brands on the market), eliminating the zip ties needed to mount a Wald 137 to a rack. The basket “weave” pattern is Molle compatible, making it easy to attach your fave accessory pouches.
The OMM Basket is ready for any basket bomber adventure you can think up. Commuting, check. Bikepacking, check. Grocery getting, check. S24O’s, check. Whatever else you can dream of using a basket on a bike for, the OMM Basket can hold it for you.
OMM Basket Features and Retail
- Stamped and welded aluminum construction is corrosion-proof
- Molle compatible
- Compatible with all “137” basket bags
- Bolts directly to OMM Divide, Divide Fat, Elkhorn, and Pizza Rack (does not match the Divide MUSA which has a bigger platform and different hole pattern).
- Hardware included for attaching to all current OMM racks
- Durable black powder-coated
- Weight: 499 grams 17.6 oz
- Dimensions: Depth 13cm, Bottom: 33 x 20cm, Top: 38cm x 26cm
- Backed by Old Man Mountain’s Lifetime warranty
The Poderosa Pannier
Using the Ponderosa Pannier will ensure that your gear will stay dry and protected as the panniers are made with 100% waterproof, TPU fabric with welded seams and Hypalon reinforcements
They are secured to the rack with a camming velcro strap at the top and a lower compression strap to loop through the rack. OMM says that this makes sure that your panniers “don’t turn into Dumbo ears when you hit a bump, no matter how rough”.
All of the compression straps are replaceable and easy to swap out should something happen to them. There is a traditional plastic frame sheet in the back (against the rack) of the bag. Additionally, there is another removable frame sheet on the frontside so it compresses evenly, allowing for the slimmest profile. Plus you can take it out to use as a cutting board for some charcuterie shenanigans.
OMM offers subtle branding on the Ponderosa Panniers as well, being embossed into the loop velcro.
Ponderosa Pannier Features and Retail
Retail: $200 (sold as a pair)
- 100% waterproof: Made from TPU fabric with Hypalon reinforcements
- 13 Liter Capacity
- Outer frame sheet for even compression and as a cutting board for charcuterie shenanigans
- Lower Compression strap design means no floppy bags
- Replaceable straps
- Minimal branding on velcro patches
- Silent contact points mean no more rattling and clanging bags.
The Juniper Trunk
The Juniper Trunk is a bikepacking trunk bag that is ready for anything. It’s made with the same 100% waterproof TPU fabric as the Panniers, with the same Hypalon fabric with welded seams.
This new bag is secured to your rack using four cam lock stepped buckles. Again, the branding on this bag is super subtle, in the picture above, with the patch removed, you can see the logo embossed into the velcro.
Juniper Trunk Features and Retail
- 10-liter capacity per bag.
- Fully welded and waterproof construction made from TPU fabric
- Hypalon reinforcements at all attachment points
- PFAS/PFC-free materials
- Roll top enclosure.
- Waterproof zipper pocket on the outside.
- Minimal branding on velcro patches.
- Clip light slots on the back
- Great fitment on all racks with a deck. Perfect fitment for OMM pannier racks.
The Axle Pack
There was something new at Old Man Mountain’s booth at the MADE Show that I caught a few photos of. They’re called the Axle Pack, and they provide a unique new way to mount your anything-type cage to any front fork. As the name implies they axle mount with the Old Man Mountian fit kits.
The Axle Packs can be mounted using “any thru axle fork we have a fit kit for, rigid or suspension”. The upper attachment in the photos is one of OMM’s trusted pucks which is just holding the Axle Pack upright so nearly all of the weight is carried through the axle.
Weighing in at a mere 73g each, these lil’ bad boys have a weight capacity of 22 lbs (10kg) per pair! And because they are axle-mounted, OMM says that they can’t spin, slip, or rotate out of place, making them perfect for tapered carbon forks and suspension forks.
No word on retail or availability…I’ll be passing along the info on these to you guys, as it comes to me. Stay tuned.