Home > Bike Types > Mountain Bike

Single Speed World Champ Ross Schnell Uses BetterRide Training

Support us! Bikerumor may earn a small commission from affiliate links in this article. Learn More

We got this “press release” in yesterday, and it’s basically a promotional piece for BetterRide, a series of training camps for mountain bikers.  Normally, we’d pass on publishing something like this in favor of videos of monkeys riding a bike and such, but it’s actually sorta interesting.  Take it for what it’s worth:

ross-schnell-mountain-bike-actionPRESS RELEASE: What Does Downieville Classic winner, Singlespeed World Champion and Trek Factory racer Ross Schnell do in the off-season?!  Improve his skills with a clinic from Gene Hamilton of BetterRide.net!

Why did a rider this advanced take a coaching session from Gene Hamilton?  Well, after the session Gene asked Ross, “well was that worth the money and time?” Ross’s answer, “Yes, I learned more today than in the last 10-11 years of just riding” (in a rushed 3.5 hour lesson, BetterRide camps are 19-22 hours over 3 days!).  If this surprises you it shouldn’t, Ross had no formal skills coaching before this lesson.  There are no skilled sports that are mastered by just doing the sport.  In ski racing, tennis, golf, martial arts, etc. the best athletes spend less than 20% of their training time actually doing the sport, the other 80% is spent doing structured drills to master the core, fundamental skills of the sport.

If many of the top mountain bike racers in the US* have learned more in their clinic and/or 3 day camp with BetterRide than in their entire career before the camp, don’t you think you could learn a thing or two?  If you would like to create your best season yet do what these racers and over 1,200 passionate riders have done and invest in your future with skills coaching from BetterRide.

Hit “more” to see U.S. training camp tour locations..

Winter/spring camps are filling up fast so register soon.

Who: You
Where: Boulder City, NV, Atlanta, GA, San Jose, CA, Fruita, CO, Philadelphia, PA, Denver, CO, Fairfax, VA, Crested Butte, CO and great riding spots all over the world.
When:  2-5 times a month, see our schedule here www.betterride.net/mountainbikecampdates.html
Why:  So you can learn the correct, in-balance, efficient, fast and safe way to ride and corner like Mitch Ropelato!

* About BetterRide: Gene Hamilton founded BetterRide in 1998 to provide structured, professional mtb skills coaching to riders and racers of all ages and experience levels.  Gene is a licensed USA Cycling Expert Coach and has over 18 years of coaching experience including 12 years coaching mountain biking.  His coaching highlights include coaching many top pro racers (Ross Schnell, Mitch Ropelato, Sarah Kaufman, Chris Van Dine, Eli Krahenbuhl, Lynda Wallenfells, Ben Craner …) as well as over 1,200 riders just looking to improve. Gene is a pretty good racer too, in 13 seasons as a pro downhill racer he has won a Silver (2002) and two Bronze Medals (2006, 1999) at the UCI World Masters Championships.

About Ross Schnell: Ross has been racing professionally on and off for the last ten years and resides in Grand Junction, CO. He rides for Trek Bikes.

Notify of

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.

Inline Feedbacks
View all comments

Subscribe Now

Sign up to receive BikeRumor content direct to your inbox.

Subscribe Now

Sign up to receive BikeRumor content direct to your inbox.