Volunteer opportunities for the 2010 Amgen Tour of California are now posted online at the official race Web site, www.amgentourofcalifornia.com.Ã‚Â Anyone wishing to volunteer for an opportunity to participate in the fifth-annual cycling race can apply online for positions, including hospitality, volunteer course marshals, security, and media operations, among others.
Considered cyclingÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s most important and successful road race in the United States, some of America’s most accomplished cyclists, including Lance Armstrong, Levi Leipheimer, Dave Zabriskie and George Hincapie have already committed to participating in the 2010 Amgen Tour of California.Ã‚Â The fifth edition of the annual race will travel to 16 host cities throughout the state over the course of eight days from May 16-23, including the very first mountaintop finish in race history.Ã‚Â The eight-day race will begin in Nevada City and travel by some of the state’s most scenic landmarks, with the overall finish taking place in Thousand Oaks.
“The support of the volunteers in the local communities that the Amgen Tour of California travels through is essential to the success of the race,” said Andrew Messick, president of AEG Sports, presenter of the race.Ã‚Â “Getting involved with the race as a volunteer allows local residents to take part in an event that captures the attention of local communities and the world, in addition to witnessing first-hand in the behind-the-scenes planning involved in an event of this stature.”
More than 4,500 volunteers in communities throughout the state participated in last yearÃ¢â‚¬â„¢s race, making it seamless and successful from start to finish, and solidifying it as the largest sporting event in the state of California.Ã‚Â In each of the start and finish cities, as many as 350 local volunteers were recruited to help staff the race.
The majority of volunteers are needed to serve as volunteer course marshals, providing support for the 75 professional course marshals that travel with the tour and support the local law enforcement authorities in each city.Ã‚Â Course marshal volunteers have an opportunity to be on the race route, close to the cyclists, with responsibility for monitoring pedestrian traffic, barricades and road closures.
Volunteer positions for the 2010 Amgen Tour of California include:
- Volunteer Course Marshals Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Assist with the coordination and safety of the fans and participants in a designated area along the race course
- Media Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Assist with distribution of media credentials, media hospitality, media operations press room management, media liaisons and press events
- Security Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Assist Tour security staff with access-control, including on-course, hospitality, awards and special events
- Site Decoration/Restoration Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Assist with installation and clean up of banners
- Lifestyle Festival EXPO Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Assist Tour Lifestyle Festival staff with EXPO coordination Ã¢â‚¬â€œ guide vendors and exhibitors to their tents for set-up; assist with festival logistics as needed; and assist with marketing activities in EXPO
- Sweepstakes Surveyors Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Ensure that Festival guests are aware of the Tour Sweepstakes opportunities, as well as all of the amenities of the festival
- Volunteer Check-in Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Assist LOC volunteer coordinator with set-up, check-in/registration and deployment
Volunteers must be over the age of 18 or accompanied by an adult.Ã‚Â The online sign-up form offers volunteers the opportunity to rank their top-three job preferences, and every attempt is made to match volunteers to their area of interest.Ã‚Â Shortly after filling out the online form, volunteers will be contacted by the local organizing committee for further information.
Dates of the 2010 Amgen Tour of California:
Stage 1: Sunday, May 16 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Nevada City to Sacramento
Stage 2: Monday, May 17 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Davis to Santa Rosa
Stage 3: Tuesday, May 18 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ San Francisco to Santa Cruz
Stage 4: Wednesday, May 19 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ San Jose to Modesto
Stage 5: Thursday, May 20 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Visalia to Bakersfield
Stage 6: Friday, May 21 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Pasadena to Big Bear Lake
Stage 7: Saturday, May 22 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Los Angeles (individual time trial)
Stage 8: Sunday, May 23 Ã¢â‚¬â€œ Thousand Oaks/Westlake Village/Agoura Hills
For additional information on volunteering for the 2010 Amgen Tour of California, please visit www.AmgenTourofCalifornia.com/Tour/volunteer.