The woom 3 AUTOMAGIC 16-inch bike’s auto-shifting feature makes starts easier and allows your budding racer to build up some speed on the flats.
This article was originally published on GearJunkie
More kids on bikes — that’s what we say. Bikemaker woom, known for innovating in the children’s bike space, is on it.
The company built its woom 3 AUTOMAGIC around a nifty Sturmey Archer A2 two-speed hub that automatically shifts from low to high at around 7 mph. All the maintenance-free goodness of two-speed internally geared hub gearing plus a riding experience optimized for fun? Sign our kids up.
Woom designed the bike for ages 4 through 6. As such, the aluminum frame sports low-entry-point geometry with 16″ wheels for easy straddling, and the total weight comes in at around 14.3 pounds (6.5kg).
The sweet braking system includes color-coded levers to help your kiddo remember what lever engages which brake. Bonus: The levers are adjustable. So at least your kid’s bike will still fit after a growth spurt even if their clothes don’t.
Of course, the woom 3 AUTOMAGIC’s chief selling point is the automatic hub, but woom’s other kid-specific features are worth a look. The high-rise handlebars and rounded stem are safety-friendly, as is the removable chainguard.
But our favorite touch is the clever steering limiter, which helps youngins stay pointed in the right direction on the trail. And if your kid doesn’t need that level of oversight, removing the limiter with a hex tool is easy enough.
At $449, the woom 3 AUTOMAGIC is a bit pricey. But you get a lot of functionality and thoughtful design for your money. And it can be traded in for the next larger-size bike through woom’s upCYCLING program.
Oh yeah, and it comes in red, green, blue, purple, and yellow.
- Ergonomic geometry designed specifically for children
- Ultralight aluminum frame – just 14.3 pounds
- Wide, ergonomic, lightweight handlebars in BMX style
- Child-friendly hand-operated brakes, with a distinctive green color on the rear brake for easy recognition
- woom Ergogrips with a small, child-friendly diameter
- Practical quick-release seatpost clamp that’s easy to operate with minimal strength
- Saddle ergonomically designed to fit a child’s pelvis, and with protected sides for leaning against walls
- Smart steering limiter
- Ultralight SOOPA-DOOPA-HOOPS aluminum rims
- 16 x 1.4-inch Schwalbe Little Joe tires, with reflective side stripes for optimal visibility
Check it out.