- SUF Camp: Train like a pro with fellow Sufferlandrians – OK, so we mentioned the national team training camp run by the Sufferfest a couple of months back. But now we have an update that only 8 spots are left, and that the price has dropped down about 15% to $4950 for the entire, once in a lifetime week-long package starting June 12 in Aigle, Switzerland. Head over to their site for full details how to get the real pro experience. And don’t forget the fourth annual Tour of Sufferlandria is coming up in just a week or so. 9-days from Feb 6-14 to bang out a winter base from the comfort of home, with donations going to a good cause at TheSufferfest.com…
- Sixth generation of 8bar bikes’ KRZBERG hitting the streets of Berlin – 8bar’s city riding fixie mainstay the KRZBERG recently got updated with v6 now available. The new triple butted 6066 aluminum frame and full-carbon fork make it the lightest frameset they have ever made. Check out out their home streets of Berlin above or the bike itself over at: 8bar-bikes.com.
- Ride 4 Education awards $24,000 in Scholarships – Three junior athletes from TWENTY16 p/b Sho-Air have been awarded scholarships to help offset the cost of college tuition and books. Only 2 scholarships had been planned, but with a tie for the second spot the donors stepped up and doled out another award for the year. The three recipients hail from Grand Junction, CO; Winter Garden, FL; and Valdese, NC and will start university in Fall 2016. Ride 4 Education was designed to reward not only great achievement in cycling, but also to highlight the value of education and community involvement. More info and how to donate at: TeamTwenty16.com
- A revolution of a charity bike ride for Young Minds – This March cyclists all over the UK will hit the roads to raise money for youth mental health charity YoungMinds. But this charity ride is a bit different as it is a virtual event spread out over the month. Organized and run completely online, the virtual charity ride will take place on a route of the participant’s choosing, and at a time that suits them, all to raise funding for YoungMinds in this first event, the UK’s leading charity committed to improving the emotional wellbeing and mental health of children and young people. More info on how it works and how to participate at: VirtualRides.org/YoungMinds
- Hack a couple of IKEA stools into a push bike – Somehow this just popped up in our inbox, even thought it was from a while ago when European designers Samuel Bernier and Andreas Bhends took apart a couple of FROSTA stools and put them back together in a pretty decent balance bike. The $20/14€ stools are still available, and you know you want to give it a try. Instructions where else but: Instructables.com
- Celebrating 35 years, RAAM announces qualifying races for 2016 – The Race Across America turn 35 this year, and the World’s Toughest Bicycle Race is gearing up for the annual 3,000 mile coast-to-coast event. Solo racers must qualify to compete and this year there are 34 qualifying events worldwide to see if you might have what it takes. Between 25 road races and 9 time trials, each is designed to test your limits, there are number of long distance races, and even 12&24 hour time trials. And the whole thing comes to a head i the second week of June when racers take the start in California heading east. RaceAcrossAmerica.org