You might know UK-based independent bike maker Cotic for its progressive, steel-framed mountain and gravel bikes. If not, allow us to introduce you by way of this art bike made to celebrate the ongoing British Cycling Cyclocross National Trophy series.
Cotic built this custom version of its limited edition Reynolds 853 Escapade gravel bike in collaboration with the bike-racing-centric Never Strays Far podcast. The company worked with Never Strays Far’s graphic designer Connar Brady to dial in the look.
We have to say, we dig the colorway, which manages to catch the eye without going overboard.
“For the build, some Italian flair is rolled in with Campagnolo EKAR, ably supported by HUNT wheels,” Cotic Founder and Director Cy Turner told BikeRumor in an email. “WTB tires and saddle to bring some CX sensibility to the build. As with every single Cotic bike, it was assembled at our UK base. It has been custom painted by Five Land Bikes (the same people responsible for our flagship UK made RocketMAX enduro frames), and is genuinely unique.”
Cotic will first display the bike Saturday, Nov. 19 at a sold-out live recording of the Never Strays Far podcast. Then on Sunday, the bike will show up at the Never Strays Far tent during round four of the National Trophy Series at Torbay Velo Park in Devon, U.K.
Cotic x Never Strays Far Art Bike Build
Turner sent BikeRumor the build details; here they are straight from the man himself.
- Cotic Escapade 853 Medium/56cm
- Reynolds 853 front triangle
- Big road or cyclo-cross tires up to 700×44, or 650b x 50
- Cotic RB5 fork: Taperer steerer, full carbon construction, Anything Cage bosses on each leg.
- 12mm thru-axles front and rear
- Cotic Inside Out routing – Di2, internal or external mechanical, dropper post, whatever you need.
- Campagnolo EKAR 1×13 Groupset – 9-42 Cassette, Carbon Crank, 38t chainring, hydraulic 160mm rotor disc brakes
- HUNT Gravel X-Wide 700c Wheels, 25mm internal width, optimized for 35c or bigger tires
- WTB Cross Boss 700x35c tires, tubeless
- WTB SL8 Carbon Saddle
- Cotic Finishing kit – 27.2mm seatpost, 100mm stem, and 46cm/20-degree flare Valley Bars
About the Cotic Escapade
Cotic refers to its stock Escapade as a “life bike.”
“[The Escapade is] a subtle steel bike that just fits into your life, for work, fun, or escapes. It will take you to the office, to the shops, on holiday, to the hills, on adventures, or just to that quiet place where you get some headspace,” Turner said.
The Escapade sports disc brakes and drop bars, and can run 650b or 700c tires. Plenty of mounts for cages, bags, and racks, plus robust steel construction, position it for adventure.
And if you want a distinct paint job but can’t swing the Never Strays Far collab? It comes in purple.