- Looking back at the Tour of California – Some of us here are suckers for infographics. So when the TOC organizers wrapped up the event and looked back at the data, this is what they came up with. From the number of hotel rooms booked to the equivalent number of In-N-Out burgers that each rider burned off over the 8 day race (hint: not all that many), they are getting the important bits. Now, it’s time to get planning for next year. AmgenTourofCalifornia.com…
Where to Ride
- CLIF Bar CykelScramble 2016 opened up to register – A pretty cool looking relay race with obstacles and costumes, the CLIF Bar CykelScramble is set for Sept 24, 2016. Team sign-ups are currently open. The race leans a bit on the crazy side, where anything can happen and probably will. Think you’ve got what it takes to compete?
- Travel with Trek to the Vuelta a España – While eyes are on the next big summer Grand Tour in France, Trek Travel is also riding one country over in Spain, with the revamped Vuelta a España Bike Tour this August. Spanish legend, Chechu Rubiera, will lead riders on the Alto de l’angrily – Spain’s hardest climb – and riders will spend an evening at the Trek-Segafredo team hotel for a behind the sceens look at the race. TrekTravel.com
- Registration open for Red Bull’s Last Stand – The criterium cycling race takes place at the infamous Alamo in San Antonio, Oct 15. 200 riders will compete in the new “eliminator” format, with the slowest rider getting pulled at the end of each lap until the winner remains. Riders can expect amazing twilight views of the Alamo as they wiz around the flat, fast and technical nine-turn, half-mile course at speeds of up to 40mph. Registration will remain open until the eve of the race, but space is limited, so sign up now to lock in a spot. Redbull.com/LastStand
- Buy a Timbuk2 pannier, get a free rack – A pretty straightforward arrangement, Timbuk2 wants more people to try out their Lux and Tandem pannier bags, so they will make sure you can fit them to your bike. Buy one or more from now until June 12, and Timbuk2 will add a single aluminum $30 Planet Bike rear rack to your order. Timbuk2.com/panniers
- Roll on a set of carbon tubeless Atomik wheels for a deal – Atomik Carbon is doing a special introductory deal this month by offering a discount on their already reasonably-priced tubeless road wheels that we introduced a couple of weeks back. They come in 38, 50 & 80mm deep versions with a clear 25mm internal. Regularly $1550, now $1,400 through the end of June. AtomikCarbon.com