The Orbea Oiz cross-country bike is already lightweight, but the weight weenies at Brujula Bike couldn’t resist pushing the carbon XC bike further to a complete bike weight with pedals and a bottle cage under 9kg. Orbea & Brujula admit they put a lot of exotic ultralight carbon components into the final build, but feel confident these are all race-ready mods. In fact, much of those superlight components are ones we’re used to spotting on pro bikes racing the UCI XC MTB World Cups, which also happen to kick off this weekend…
Orbea x Brujula 8.85kg Oiz XC super bike
Orbea’s Oiz full-suspension XC race mountain bike is already known for being light with its latest 1350g OMX carbon frame, and its lightweight short-travel 100mm complete bike builds weigh as little as 10kg complete with full XTR and carbon DT wheels. But that wasn’t enough for Brujulabike. Although they say, “it wasn’t enough to reduce weight at any price. It had to be completely reliable for racing and with components available on the market. The result is this spectacular full suspension MTB under 9 kg.”
They know you can build a sub 8kg XC bike if you are willing to sacrifice reliability, comfort, or even stratospheric prices. But Brujula wanted their Orbea Oiz XC race bike to be ready to rip!
Custom weight weenie build details
Right on Orbea’s claims, this size medium Oiz OMX frameset with its carbon rocker link and inline-mounted Fox Float DPS Factory shock weighed 1740g in the lightest transparent blue paint over raw carbon. Brujula paired that to a 1418g Fox 32 Float Step Cast Factory fork, for 100mm of travel front & rear.
That’s pretty much where stock kit ended.
The most obvious upgrade are the 1376g Bike Ahead Biturbo RS monocoque 6-spoke carbon wheels, that are really light while being stiff, World Cup-proven & still 27mm wide internal (even though we’ve seen several ~1kg XC wheels, even earlier from Bike Ahead). Topped off with Pirelli’s Scorpion XC RC Lite 2.2″ XC tires with no protections (although I’d prefer the 2.4″ version that’s just 90g heavier a piece with ProWall sidewall protection).
But probably just as much weight is shed in the ultralight hand-laid carbon Darimo 93g T1 Loop seatpost with Dyneema rope saddle rail clamp, 62g stem & 108g flat handlebar. Top that with a 70g full-carbon Saevid saddle, some Orbea foam grips to keep the cockpit light, a 224g pair of Exustar pedals, and Alpitude’s silly light Superleggero carbon loop bottle cage.
Brujula even shed some weight off the SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS drivetrain with Hopp Carbon link plates & a Kogel Kolossos cage for the rear derailleur, plus the ultralight, ultra-machined Ukrainian Garbaruk cassette.
And braking got a light upgrade with new Hope XCR stoppers, Ashima rotors & Kogel ti rotor bolts.
Detailed Brujula weight breakdown of the Orbea Oiz project bike:
- Frame: Orbea Oiz OMX size M, 1740g (including rear shock)
- Rear shock: Fox Float DPS Factory i-line 100mm with remote (included above)
- Fork: Fox 32 Float SC Factory 100 FIT4 QR15x110 with remote, 1418g
- Wheels: Bike Ahead Biturbo RS 27mm internal, 637g front & 736g rear
- Tires: Pirelli Scorpion XC RC Lite Team Edition 29×2.2″, 604g each
- Brakes: Hope XCR, 195g each
- Rotors: Ashima ai2 160mm 6-bolt, 73g each
- Bar: Darimo MTB Handlebar 740mm no rise, 108g
- Headset: Acros Alloy 1.125-1.5″ Integrated
- Stem: Darimo IX2 MTB 80mm -6º, 62g
- Grips: Orbea foam, 44g
- Seatpost: Darimo T1 Loop 31.6, 93g
- Seatpost clamp: Darimo Sub4, 4g
- Saddle: Saevid Alien Short, 70g
- Bottom bracket: Kogel BB92-Dub with ceramic bearings, 56g
- Cranks: SRAM XX1 with 34T chainring, 426g (including 10g Kogel alloy pre-loader)
- Chain: SRAM Eagle Rainbow, 263g (full-length)
- Derailleur: SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS, 375g (before mods)
- Derailleur linkage plates: Hopp Carbon
- Shifter: SRAM XX1 Eagle AXS, 87g
- Derailleur cage: Kogel Kolossos 14/19T alloy cage with ceramic bearings, 97g
- Cassette: Garbaruk 10-50T, 337g
- Bolts: Kogel Titanium Disc Brake Kit, 8g
- Valves: Damoff Aluminum 48mm, 12g pair
- Sealant: Damoff tubeless tire sealant
- Pedals: Exustar MTB EPM215TI, 224g pair
- Bottle cage: Alpitude Superleggero, 10g
Total weight: 8.85kg / 19.5lb (with pedals)