The big tech news this week was SRAM DUB, an all-new crankset/spindle/bottom bracket system they claim is the “standard killer” by making it so one single crank design will fit most any mountain bike. Close behind was Industry Nine’s new i9 Carbon Aero road bike wheels, which are wide and disc brake only.
For tech explanation, our Tire Tech series showed how mountain bike tires are made tougher, using special materials and layers to become more resistant to cuts and punctures. In other tire news, we reviewed the Isla Greim Pro tubeless ready cyclocross tire, which comes in kids sizes, too! And we got hands on with the new Specialized Tracer and Terra Pro ‘cross tires. Then we spotted prototype Challenge Dune CX tires, too!
It’s snowing (or just snowed) in many parts of the world, but that didn’t stop “Mad Max” from bombing down the world’s toughest alpine ski slope…on a completely stock Mondraker DH bike. And while we’re on celebrity riders, be sure to check out Watt’s story on Grinduro Scotland!
If you’re a fan of The Sufferfest for indoor training, check our interview with founder David McQuillen on how he started and has grown the company. For off the bike training, we reviewed the NordicTrack Fusion CST home gym system, which might be the perfect total body training device for endurance athletes.
Here’s all the rest!
ADVOCACY & INDUSTRY NEWS
- The Build Cycle Podcast #037 – The Sufferfest founder David McQuillen
- Revolve concept folds wheels, not the bike, for compact commuter
- Friday Roundup: Cycling Odds & Ends
- Bikerumor Friday Yard Sale #007 – SRAM Dub, i9 wheels, Dirty Kanza lottery, etc.
ROAD, GRAVEL & CYCLOCROSS
- Review: Islabikes Greim Pro tubeless cyclocross tires grip everything
- Rawland xSogn, 10 years & modern updates to the fat tire all-road bike
- Pioneer drops pricing on dual leg Dura-Ace R9100, Ultegra R8000 powermeters
- Industry Nine’s all-new i9 Carbon aero road wheels are disc only, pavement mostly
- FSA PowerBox adds paid upgrades to unlock more analysis & connectivity
- Review: Litespeed Gravel bike takes on sand, snow, pavement and more!
- Spotted: Challenge Dune Dry proto tires at Belgian cyclocross champs
- Hands on w/ new 2018 Specialized Terra Pro, Tracer Pro cyclocross tires
- Lauf rolls onto DT Swiss wheels for new True Grit gravel bikes
- Tire Tech: How protective layers prevent cuts & punctures in mountain bike tires
- Knolly switching to wider 157TRAIL axle spacing on all mountain bikes, starts w/ new 29er
- Race Face spins out Vault J-bend mountain bike hubs
- Transition Smuggler Carbon sneaks 29er mountain bike over the border
- Max Stöckl bombs world’s toughest alpine ski slope on stock Mondraker DH bike
- Robot Bike prints R-Zero custom ti & carbon trail hardtail mountain bike
- New SRAM DUB mountain bike cranksets are lighter, more durable than ever
CLOTHING & GEAR
- Kask Utopia aero road bike helmet debuts Down Under for Team Sky
- VeloToze stretch off-road with MTB-ready latex shoe covers
- Review: Perfectly aligned handlebars with Tune Spurtreu
- Quoc expands Night road bike shoes, smaller sizes by popular demand
- Review: NordicTrack Fusion CST wins w/ power-based strength training for cyclists
- MAAP x Suplest Edge3 road shoe collaboration produces sweet kicks
- Review: Fizik Artica X5 winter mountain bike shoes are warm, dry & snug
- Review: Kalas RainMem affordable foul weather kit keeps you warm & dry
PICS OF THE DAY
- Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Newport Coast, California
- Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Low sun on Iowa winter trails
- Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Roadside break in Santiago, Chile
- Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Santa Fe trail commute, Colorado Springs, CO
- Bikerumor Pic Of The Day: Wasatch Crest trail back in Utah summer